Thursday, September 25, 2008

Before & After & Before

Today was a day for haircuts, except for Kyle. Stephen has found a cool little barber shop, that does a fast, good job for only a dollar more than his barber shop in Midland. I, on the other hand, am not so sure I've found the salon I will continue to visit. It's hard to find a good place here just by looking in the yellow pages or online. You never know if they speak English in there, or actually do more than just weaves and hair extensions. The only way to know is to drive up, call, and take a chance.
After driving around the neighborhood and getting a list of about 5 places, I called them all when we got home. There was only one place where the phone was answered in English, so that was the place where I decided to start. They had an opening for today, so I took. it. It's just hair, right? It can grow back.
When I arrived at the salon, the girl I made the appointment with was backed-up, so she asked if I would mind having Maria do my hair. Maria was nice....at least I think she was being nice. It was hard to understand since most of what I got was Spanglish. I never really know how I want to be done. That's why I like to talk to my stylist before-hand. She's the expert, right, so she knows more than I do and should have some input on what would look good. That really wasn't going to happen today, but I basically said I wanted it shorter but not TOO short. I'm pretty happy with it, but think I may keep looking around. Here's the before and after pictures from today.



As far as the "other" before picture, I was going through my email inbox, deleting old emails, and found an email from my birthday 2 years ago. My teaching compadres threw me a surprise party up at school. We had so much fun and food, and this was the "last supper," of sorts, before I started Weight Watchers...the FIRST time. The day after this party, I went to my first meeting. I lost almost 30 pounds and then found out I was pregnant. I put it all back on during the pregnancy. After Kyle was born, I started again and am now at my goal weight. Anyway, I thought it was interesting that I'm wearing a pink shirt and the same necklace in this picture. This is a true "before" picture on my Weight Watchers journey. It helps remind me why I'm doing what I'm doing. I want to maintain my weight loss efforts!

7 comments:

Katie said...

oh my goodness mel, you look like a different person! you look so great and so does your new hairdo!

Caleb and Marci said...

You are so amazing. Nice work, it is such a hard road, I admire you so much. I love the new hair as well. I recently cut mine off too, I guess I had better post it sometime. Try asking neighbors and girls in the ward whose hair you like. Love you updates.

Liz Marshall said...

I really like your hair! It actually frames your face and makes you look even thinner! You look so good! My battle of the bulge has not gone as well as I would have liked but I am almost off of cokes! 1 step at a time I guess!

Danielle said...

You look great! I love the new do. It really looks good on you.
Way to go on the weight loss!

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

You look amazing! Hair looks great as well.

Morgan said...

HOLY COLLARBONE!!!!!!!! :) That was some good inspiration! I need to go find my collarbone... it's under there somewhere!! ;)

Chrystal said...

Wow, Twin, you look so good I don't think you can be called my twin any more. Your new haircut is so cute! The Spanglish stylist must have known at least a little bit of what she was doing. And I agree with the other comment on here--holy collarbone!