Sunday, August 24, 2008

First REAL Sunday at Church


We attend the Palm Springs Ward in the Miami Lakes Florida Stake. We looked up our address on LDS.org, but since we're in a brand-new building, the computer didn't know exactly where we were assigned to go to church. So, we called the Church Office Building and they didn't know, either. They gave us the names of some bishops we could call. Even after calling them, we only had an IDEA of the ward to which we belong.

So, last Sunday, we just decided to show up and see if we made the right choice. We drove to the parking lot, which was full. I asked, "is this the Stake Center?" Stephen said, "probably not. It's pretty old for a Stake Center." So, we parked and walked in. Our meeting time is 11:30, but there was already a meeting going on when we got there at 11:15. I asked, "is this Stake Conference?"
"What's today's date," Stephen replied.
"The 16th or the 17th."
"Then, it IS Stake Conference. I saw a sign on the door."
We walked in the back and sat down and enjoyed the last 30 minutes of our first church meeting in Miami. Afterwards, we talked to the missionaries and met the Bishop, who confirmed that we were in the right place!

Today, we made it to the right place and the right time and got to meet a few people who go to our ward. It seems like it will be a nice place. There were A LOT of women who offered to help out with Kyle and were very friendly. (I needed it because Kyle only slept for about 33 minutes, and then wanted to take off all over the place. There's a guy in a wheelchair, and Kyle found out he could crawl over there, mess with the wheels, and make his wheelchair move. Once he figured that out, it was all I could do to keep him away from there! What a great first impression!!) I look forward to getting to know the people better and to make some good friends. (Hopefully, they understand that I'm the mother of a 13-month old, just trying to keep him contained.)

Here's a few pictures of all of us before church.





No comments: