Pioneer Day is an official holiday in the state of Utah. It celebrates the day when the first Mormon pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847. In Utah, this holiday is much like 4th of July, with parades, fireworks, bar-be-ques, games, etc. In South Florida, we have to make our own celebrations, since no one is even aware that anything of significance happened on this day, so many years ago.
On Wednesday, for our Young Women activity, we learned how to churn our own butter in a jar and we made ice cream in a bag. (Who knows if early settlers really made ice cream, but I'd like to believe that everyone, even pioneers, looked forward to a sweet, frozen treat, every now-and-then!) It turned out SO great! Here's the recipes:
In case you want something a little more active, here's some great ideas for games/activities pioneers used to play!
Happy Pioneer Day, y'all!
8 years ago




1 comment:
I remember being in the MTC and all of us "non-Utah" missionaries went by the post office expecting mail, and it was CLOSED!!! We were all standing outside os it like, "Why would they be closed? This is torture!!!!" Then some Utah idiots walked by and said, "Hey don't you know it's pioneer day? Nothing is ever opened!" I as not a happy missionary for the rest of the week cause I had no mail!
Post a Comment